The holiday season is a time to celebrate the love of family and friends. Not many people are worried about their identity when the holidays come around. Unfortunately the holidays are a great time for identity thieves to steal from you. The holiday season is filled with thieves that are ready to take advantage of the increased activity at malls and businesses. This is also the time of the year that some people get holiday bonuses that give the employee’s extra spending money around the holidays. Thieves would love to steal those holiday bonuses and drain your bank account.
Some tips for staying safe this holiday season
• Do not keep your social security number in your wallet or purse. Leave it at home in a safe place the last thing you want is for a thief to get a hold of that.
• When mailing checks, money or anything sensitive drop it off at the post office. The post office empties the bins several times a day and prevents the theft of your mail and information.
• Be careful and aware of “Shoulder Surfing”. Don’t let anyone look over your shoulder or get too close to you when you’re entering in pin numbers.
• When making purchases online make sure the websites use an encryption on the checkout pages. Most browsers will put a little padlock either in the address bar or in the bottom right of the page to let you know the page is encrypted. If at all possible don’t make purchase on wireless networks that are not protected by a key or in public places where someone could watch you enter your card information.
• Make sure that any documents, that have sensitive information on them, are shredded before being thrown away. Identity thieves are not afraid to go dumpster diving and find your discarded information.
• Remember that debit/check cards are not credit cards. Debit cards have a direct connection to your checking account so there is no time to dispute charges placed on them. With credit cards they send you a statement and you can dispute any charges that you receive. It’s always easier to prevent the charges then it is to get your money back.
Of course if you want someone else to worry about your identity get LifeLock identity theft protection. To get our exclusive discount on LifeLock use LifeLock promotion code, Defense.
Tags: christmas, Code, holiday, id, Identity, Life Lock, LifeLock, lifelock.com, prevention, promo, Promotion, Theft